March 15-March 22, 2008
During this time I will be in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
as a part of a team of 30 people working with those
who live and work in a local dump; holding a VBS program for children; and ministering to women at a local prison.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Going to Honduras

In 2006, I was able to travel to Charlotte, North Carolina with a service team to work on Operation Christmas Child. I had forgotten how much of a blessing it is to serve God by serving alongside other believers.

Shortly after I returned from NC, Pacific Union Church in Westport was forming a team to travel to Tegucigalpa, Honduras that coming March. I was able to support my friends Josh and Michelle through prayer and finances. During the team’s testimony at the end of the trip, I began to think more seriously about going to Honduras. As I was leaving the church, Nate said to me, “Next year, you’re coming with us?” Without thought, I replied, “Yeah, I think so.”

When May/June came around and applications were being filled out for the OCC trip, I was praying about Honduras. I couldn’t take vacation time for both trips and did not feel led to be a part of the OCC trip. I felt at peace about saying no to traveling with the OCC team and stayed involved with the ministry in other ways.

During the past year, I have also been involved regularly at Food Share at my church; a ministry that provides food to people in the Greater Fall River area. Once again I felt the blessing that comes with serving others. It was encouraging to work with those who faithfully showed up each month, including Vinny, who had previously gone on the Honduras trip and Reiner, who had grown up in South America. One morning at food share, Vinny and Reiner were talking about Honduras and an upcoming trip! I asked Vinny if he planned on returning with Pacific Union... I couldn’t believe it; Vinny planned on organizing a team from Bethany!

I really felt like everything made sense and was pointing to Honduras. Here I am, about 6 months later and a month away from arriving in Honduras!

While in Tegucigalpa, the team will spend several days at the local dump. Many people work in the dump collecting recyclable materials and some even work AND live there. The wages for a day's work at the dump is $1.50. Men, women and children all work and because of this children do not get a formal education because they are working all day. Our ministry to the "dump people" will involve serving a meal, sharing a message, and simply talking to them. A medical team will provide first aid to those who need it.

We are also scheduled to hold a Vacation Bible School in the city. Last year there were 150 children who came and heard Bible stories and played games with the team. We don't know what to expect this year as far as numbers, but plan on sharing with them the message that Jesus loves them.

One of the days, we hope to visit a women's prison. The team will be giving out tolietries, sharing a Bible study, talking to the women, and maybe even playing a some basketball with them.

I am very excited about this trip. Not only do we as a team have a great responsibility and opportunity to share the love of Christ with the people that we encounter, but we also have an amazing opportunity to see God's work in another place. To be separated from all the things that make and keep us comfortable as middle-class suburban Christians. To be stretched and challenged.

I want to invite you to get involved with Honduras as well. Especially through prayer. In short, please pray for the hearts of those who we will minister to, for unity for the team as we work together, and for me personally—that I would be ready to serve others and be a witness for Christ. Please let me know that you are praying. I’d like to be able to thank you each personally!

Thanks!
Melissa

No comments: